Mapping the Lands of the Byzantine Empire Activity (Part of my Geography IN History Series)
This mapping activity guides students through mapping the physical features of the Byzantine Empire (Early Christian Civilization) by researching 15 different questions and topics on the region. Students can use an atlas with a physical map of the region or online sources to complete the activity.
Includes a map of the region and the student handout with 15 questions for mapping and 3 wrap-up questions.
A photographed completed assignment is provided for a key.
Created for use leading into a unit on the Early Christian Empire, but could be used for any geographic study of the region.
Visit my Mapping Activities Category for other similar lessons! They are great for introducing each unit in your History Course!
See other Mapping Activities in my Geography IS History Series!
And in my TpT Store, you will find everything you need for the U.S., World, Geography, Holocaust, or other Social Studies Classroom!
|Scroll over 'more' to the right for units/activities/resources!|
The Division of the Roman Empire & the Start of the Byzantine Empire
Tasks for Monday, January 29th
I can identify the location of the Byzantine Empire and Constantinople.
STEP 4 - MAP ANALYSIS QUESTIONS
1. Begin the map analysis questions.
2. Answer them fully using information you have learned about the fall of Western Rome and your map to help you.
3. When you finish, turn them in to me.
Interesting Article about the Byzantine Empire
Use the article below to complete the assignment.
Quarterly Extra Credit Opportunity
HIS 8. Empires in Africa (Ghana, Mali and Songhay) and Asia (Byzantine, Ottoman, Mughal and China) grew as commercial and cultural centers along trade routes.
Task 1 - 2 Edcite Assignments
Go to Edcite and complete the two assignments below:
1. Do the assignment titled "End of Roman Empire and Beginning of Byzantine Empire" FIRST
2. Do the assignment titled "Constantinople" SECOND
Task 2 - NEWSELA Article - The Byzantine Empire
Go to Google Classroom and complete the NEWSELA Assignment titled - The Byzantine Empire. Read the article and do both the written activity and the quiz.
Fill in the Notes Sheet as we go through the Nearpod Activities.
Step 1 - 8 pts
Label the following bodies of water:
1. Mediterranean Sea
2. Black Sea
3. Aegean Sea
4. Bosporus Strait
5. Atlantic Ocean
Label the following continents: (YOU SHOULD KNOW THESE) -
7. (North) Africa
Step 2 - 2 pts
Label the following cities:
Step 3 - 1 pt
Draw a RED line or border between the western and eastern Roman Empires.
Step 4 - 3 pts
Follow the coloring instructions below:
1. Bodies of water – BLUE
2. Cities – BLACK (dot)
4. Eastern Roman Empire – GREEN
Step 5 - 1 pt
Put a compass somewhere on your map.
Step 6 - 5 pts
In anyway that you want (pictures, words, symbols) you need to show 3 more things on your map…
1. The change in Western Europe (from empire to separate kingdoms). For example - you might outline the new borders and draw crowns in those spots to symbolize the separate kingdoms. 3 pts
2. When the Western Roman Empire declined (date - AD 476). For example - you might just write a sentence under the map describing what happened in 476. 1 pt
3. The new name of the Eastern Roman Empire - The Byzantine Empire. 1 pt
Choose a level and drag events to their correct spot on the timeline!
Test your knowledge of the geography of the world!
How well can you calculate a map scale to measure distance between cities?
Can you locate continents, countries, cities, etc?